Wednesday, June 10, 2009

What would I do without Jazz?


I truly don't know. Here's some background:

My Siberian Husky died in 2003 - I'd had him since 1989. My mom died in 2005. My dad in 2007. Mentally, I was freaking out. I needed something to help take care of - it's part of what makes me, well, me. I'd begun looking for a dog prior to Mom's illness, but I couldn't find the breed I wanted. I wanted a dog like my husky, but not nearly as big. I saw a shiba inu while in Piedmont Park and I fell in love.

I did a little bit of research about the breed and thought "When the time comes, this is the breed". With everything that happened from 2003-2007, I am amazed that I didn't get a dog sooner. They can provide so much healing for the soul. Halfway through 2007, I began looking in earnest for a shiba. I eventually found one through a breeder - she allowed Jazz to go as a rescue as long as I had her spayed. Originally, Jazz was a show dog, but was retired when it was realized that she had an allergy and couldn't be bred.

I drove 6 or so hours up to Winston-Salem to pick her up. In my excitement of talking with the breeder, I had neglected to ask her what the dog's name was. When she told me, I was very excited because I love Jazz music. Jazz rode home that day sleeping on my hand. Every day when I come home, I get an enthusiastic greeting. Jazz isn't super active - she sleeps a lot...even for a shiba, but the greeting I get from her everyday just thrills me.

When I laydown for just a moment, she snuggles up close to me - she knows that I need that recharge. I'm sure others feel the same about their dogs, but I know that every day of my life is better because she is in it.

2 comments:

  1. aw <3
    Thats exactly how I feel about my two as well... I would be so lost without them, and feel utterly blessed that we all found each other.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't imagine life without dogs! Glad you found Jazz :)

    ReplyDelete